PA GROUND SIPALI BWINO! Karonga, Silver game abandoned

A Tnm Super League match involving Karonga United and Silver Strikers has been abandoned following collision of decisions by referee Mercy Kayira and her assistant to award the hosts a penalty. The visitors were at the time of abandonment leading 1-0 with a Blessings Tembo’s goal at 66 minutes. First assistant referee signaled a penalty for the hosts at 85 minutes following a handball in the box when Nickson Nyasulu and Chikondi Kamanga both of Silver Strikers tried to clear a ball out of danger. The Central Bankers protested the decision to award Karonga a penalty, a decision which the first grade referee reversed, giving the hosts a direct free kick at the edge of the 18 yard box. Karonga accepted the decision but started protesting as the referee started consulting her assistants on the decision, the home team walked away from Silver’s half to their half. Disagreements then erupted over inductiveness of referee Kayira who convened a short meeting with her assistants and match assessor Kaliyoto Ngosi after which Kayira again changed her decision at 93 minutes and awarded the hosts a penalty, a decision which Silver Strikers also protested. Players and officials left the field of play as fans started pelting stones, bottles and all sorts of objects on the pitch as referee Mercy Kayira was seen shedding tears.
Kayira (second from left) crying as her assistants comfort her Pic by George Simbeye
It took Police’s interventions to fire teargas dispersing angry supporters at the Karonga Stadium. The game was also stopped at 55 minutes as a swarm of bees passed at the field of play. As the competition in the league has taken a center stage, some games have been marred by poor officiation. This is the fourth game this season alone to be abandoned following the Blantyre Derby, Silver Strikers vs Red Lions game, and Moyale Barracks vs Mighty Tigers game.   
Spectators leaving the stadium after firing of teargas
Meanwhile, Super League of Malawi (Sulom) says it has determined all cases and the public and stakeholders will be communicated shortly. Sulom’s General Secretary Williams Banda said the delays were on account of reports from stakeholders.